Watering the lawn and garden are thankless chores, and tend to be especially wasteful if done with a hose in one hand and an ice-cold lemonade in the other. One way to start saving money is to invest in a smart irrigation system to conserve water and promote a healthy lawn and landscape. Josh Sween, the owner of the family-owned and operated GreenEarth Landscaping out of Kindred, North Dakota, has much praise for smart sprinkler controllers. Here are four benefits for homeowners installing a smart sprinkler system.
- All you need is a smartphone. You can control your sprinklers and be anywhere in the world as long as the smart system’s sprinkler controller has communications through Wi-Fi. You can set up schedules, see a watering calendar, and turn your sprinklers on or off with the tap of a button.
- It customizes each zone based on the types of soil, slope, nozzle type, and amount of sun to minimize runoff and make every drop of water count, so you can fine-tune parts of your landscaping that need extra attention.
- You no longer have to worry about fiddling with complicated menus, dealing with instruction manuals, or twisting dials to figure out how to set or adjust your sprinkler timers. All you need to do is download the app and let the software work its magic on your lawn.
- Sween has set up multiple smart sprinkler clocks in the Cass County Electric service territory and says it’s a simple, quick, and easy process –especially if you already have a sprinkler system setup.
- One perk owners love about using the app is the weather awareness setting. Gone are the days of forgetting to turn off your sprinkler and trudge through the elements to do so. The weather awareness setting will automatically shut off your sprinkler system due to rain or adjust for longer running times on particularly hot summer days - saving you time and money!
- Sween says another remarkable advantage of utilizing a smart sprinkler clock is that most are calibrated by the government and monitor the weather for you by communicating with the nearest airport, so they’ll automatically be on top of the forecast.
- The idea of water conservation is at the top of the mind for many homeowners. When your sprinklers are correctly installed and maintained by a professional, they conserve water, which will reflect on your utility bills.
- Smart sprinklers systems cost anywhere from $300-500, but they’re likely to pay you back over the course of the next couple of summers.